Dr. N. RADHAKRISHNAN
Tue, Fri Op Time 8 Am To 2 Pm (Mon, Thur Ot)
Medical Administrator & Phlebologist
48 years of medical Service, 41 years of surgical practice and 22 years of specialised treatment in Venous Diseases and more than 26000 minimally invasive Varicose Vein procedures (Modified Microfoam Sclerotherapy).
His radical and unconventional technique of Sclerotherapy has brought out ‘Newer outlook & Trends in the Etiopathogenesis & Management of Varicose Vein in Lower Limbs’.
Dr N Radhakrishnan is the Medical Director of St. Thomas Institute of Research on Venous Diseases, the exclusive centre for advanced research in the field of Phlebolymphology (study of Veins & Lymphatics) and offering innovative treatment at par with international standards for diseases associated with the venous system. Working in collaboration with the Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology (RGCB), Thiruvananthapuram, he was instrumental in identifying the Genes responsible for Chronic Venous Disease (CVD).
He has published many original articles relating to genes in leading international research journals like PLOS-ONE, NATURE.COM (Lab. Investigations), in Indian Journal of Surgery and authored a reference book on CVD, ‘A TREATISE ON VENOUS DISEASES’ an international publication by Jaypee Bros and is also a key resource person for many national & international conferences.
- Fellow of the International College of Surgeons (Phlebolymphology) (FICS)
- Fellow of Association of Surgeons of India (FAIS)
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Medical Specialties (FIAMS)
- Master of Surgery (M.S. General Surgery) (Govt. Medical College, Trivandrum)
- MBBS (Govt. Medical College, Trivandrum)
- International College of Surgeons (ICS)
- American College of Phlebology (ACP)
- American Venous Forum (AVF)
- European Venous Forum (EVF)
- Venous Association of India (VAI)
- Association of Surgeons of India (ASI)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Indian Academy of Medical Specialties (IAMS)
- Qualified Medical Practitioners Association (QPMPA)
- “Bacterial Resistance to Antibiotics” in Thailand (2007).
- “Challenging Surgical Techniques in Appendicectomy” in Mauritius. (2008)
- “Newer Trends in the Management of Varicose Veins of the Lower Limbs” in Istanbul, Turkey (2009)
- “Newer Outlooks & Trends in the Etiopathogenesis & Management of Varicose Veins of the Lower Limbs” to Vascular Surgeons at Durban, South Africa on invitation by Prof. John V. Robbs. (24th June 2011)
- “Newer Outlooks & Trends in the Etiopathogenesis & Management of Varicose Veins of the Lower Limbs” for CPD Accredited Meeting at Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital, Walter Sisulu University, Mthatha, South Africa. (7th July 2011)
- Poster Presentation on Molecular Pathogenesis of Varicose Veins at RGCB in March, 2012. (S. Sumi& Prof. C. C. Kartha of RGCB and N. Radhakrishnan) won the best presentation award.
- “Fondaparinux& the Surgeon” for the surgeons & allied surgical super specialists 4th surgical clinical meeting at Hotel Jewel of Chembur, Mumbai, India. (20th February 2013)
(Note: The gene responsible for Varicose Vein and Chronic Venous Disease was identified for the first time and got officially approved & declared internationally)
- Research Article : Arterialization and anomalous vein wall remodeling in varicose veins is associated with upregulated FoxC2-Dll4 pathway, Laboratory Investigation (2016) 96, 399–408; doi:10.1038/labinvest.2015.167; published online 25 January 2016. The article is available online on: http://www.nature.com/labinvest/journal/v96/n4/pubmed/labinvest2015167a.html
- PLOS ONE publication: “Forkhead box C2 Promoter Variant c.-512C>T Is Associated with Increased Susceptibility to Chronic Venous Diseases” . The article is available online on: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0090682
- Original article: “Microfoam Sclerotherapy for Varicose Veins: a Retrospective Analysis of a Modified Technique” published by Indian Journal of Surgery (2013). The article is available online on Springer Link: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12262-013-1013-2
(Note for 3 & 4: The outlook of venous diseases, which was maintained for the past 55 centuries have been proved scientifically wrong. A new outlook brought out by me got the international acceptance. Accordingly a novel operative technique was devised.)
- “Elimination Of Smallest Tributaries Of The Smallest Veins Of The Lowermost Part Of Leg Pivotal In The Successful Management Of Chronic Venous Disease”at the 26th Annual Meeting of the American Venous Forum, held in New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. (February 19-22, 2014)
- A reference book “A Treatise on Venous Diseases” : foreword written by Padmavibhushan Dr. M. S. Valiathan, National Research Professor, Govt. of India, got published in April 2014 by JAYPEE BROTHERS MEDICAL PUBLISHERS (P) LTD (New Delhi • London • Philadelphia • Panama) as a reference book. It is also available as e-Book.
- Prof. N. Ganguly award for young scientists in cardiovascular clinical research for the work entitled “Regulatory polymorphisms in FoxC2 gene in patients with varicose veins” at International Conference on Cardiovascular Research Convergence, All India Institute of Medical Science, New Delhi, 17th and 18thFebruary, 2012. (S. Sumi& Prof. C. C. Kartha of RGCB and N. Radhakrishnan)
- “Modified Microfoam Sclerotherapy (MMFST) for Varicose Veins in Lower Limbs” is the second book, which is getting ready for publication.
- Award of Excellence2012, presented by ALL MOSCOW MALAYALEE ASSOCIATION, for advanced research in the field of medicine particularly in the field of venous diseases, on 09th September 2012 at Moscow, Russia. (Exclusively for Malayalee’s from different disciplines of service). Award presented by E. Mr. Ajai Malhotra, Ambassador of India to the Russian Federation.
- “International Gold Star Millennium Award” The award was presented he former Dy. Prime Minister of Thailand, KornDabbaransiduring the International Conference on “Indo-Thai Friendship & Economic Co-operation”. The award has been instituted by the National Integration and Economic Council and organized by the Citizens Integration Peace Society. For this award, achievers in the field of medicine, industry, business, public life, administration, social work, educational services and culture were selected. I was awarded for the "Excellence in Promoting Global Integration & Economic Development”on 27th Jan. 2013 at Bangkok, Thailand.
- “GLOBAL INDIAN OF THE YEAR AWARD – 2014” The award was presented by the former President of India, Her Excellency Smt. PratibhaDevisinghPatil during the International Conclave on “International Unity & industrial Growth” on 19th 2014 at Pune, India.
- “Rajiv Gandhi Shiromani Award”. The award was presented during the national symposium on 'Rajiv's Role in Promoting National Integration'. I was awarded for the "Outstanding Individual Achievements & Distinguished Services to the Nation" considering my contributions in health care especially in the field of Vascular Surgery and related on 19th August, 2012at New Delhi.
- “Indira Gandhi Sadbhavna Award” The award was presented during the national symposium on 'Life & Works of Late Smt. Indira Gandhi’. For this award, achievers in the field of medicine, industry, business, public life, administration, social work, educational services and culture were selected. I was awarded for the "Outstanding Individual Achievements & Distinguished Services to the Nation"on 18th November 2012 at New Delhi.
- “Gold Medal for Excellence” This special award was presented during the national symposium on 'Life & Works of Late Smt. Indira Gandhi’ on 18th Nov. 2012 at New Delhi.
- “Pride of India Award” The award was presented during the national conference on “National Unity & Industrial Growth”. I was awarded for the "Outstanding Individual Achievements & Distinguished Services to the Nation"24th March 2013 at New Delhi.
- “BHARAT JYOTI AWARD”The award was presented during the national conference on “National Unity & Industrial Growth”. I was awarded for the "Outstanding Individual Achievements & Distinguished Services to the Nation"24th March 2013 at New Delhi.
- “LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD”. The award was presented by the former President of India, Her Excellency Smt. PratibhaDevisinghPatil during the International Conclave on “International Unity & industrial Growth” on 19th Jan. 2014 at Pune, India.
Social commitment: -
- Award of Excellence from Archeparchy of Changanassery, for the excellent commitment and dedication in surgical practice especially for the patients with varicose vein problems on 19th May, 2012
- Award of Excellence from Rotary Club of Greater Changanassery, for the excellent commitment and dedication in advanced research in the field of medicine particularly in the field of venous diseases on 11th August, 2012
- “Achievement Award – 2012”organized by Kerala Breaking Newsfor excellence in Phlebology. Awarded by Hon’ble Minister of Health, Govt. of Kerala,Shri. V.S. Sivakumar&Hon’ble Mayor, Corporation of Thiruvananthapuram, Adv: Chandrika K. on 06th JAN. 2013 at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- “Professional Excellence Award 2012-13”,presented by Olive Gardens Residents Association, for advanced research in the field of medicine particularly in the field of venous diseases, on 30th JAN. 2013 at Changanassery, Kerala.
- “NAVARATRI PURASKARAM - 2014”,presented by Punyadarshanam Magazine, for the extreme commitment, unselfish services & the eternal love to the suffering humanity in the field of medicine on 03rd OCT. 2014 at Kottayam, Kerala.
- “VOCATIONAL SERVICE AWARD - 2014”,presented by ROTARY CLUB of Changanassery Rotary International District 3211 for developing new treatment methods for Venous Diseases on NOV. 2014 at Changanassery, Kerala.
- “LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD - 2015”,presented by JCI - Changanassery Town, JCI India Zone XXII, for the incredible contributions in the field of medicine on 18th JAN. 2015 at Changanassery, Kerala.
Dr N Radhakrishnan Foundation for Research on Venous Diseases:
- Patron, SUKRITHAM – SEVABHARATHI, Madappally, Changanassery, Kottayam, Kerala for rehabilitation of mentally challenged.
- A research foundation was formed on 15thJune, 2012 to offer scholarships for post-doctoral fellows doing research on venous disease in the Union of India. It is named “ N. RADHAKRISHNAN FOUNDATION FOR RESEARCH ON VENOUS DISEASES”to offer scholarships for post-doctoral fellow(s) doing/interested in advanced scientific research in Venous Diseases.The aim of the foundation is to prevent the venous disease in future generation by achieving genetic corrections.
- Services for the Rehabilitation of Street Childrenat SnehaNivas in Changanassery (Home Town), Kerala. Appreciated by Rotary South East, London (Published in Rotary South East Magazine).
- Indoor Play Station for Physically Challenged Girls at Mercy Home, Changanassery (Home Town), Kerala. (2006)
- Emergency Relief Activities for Tsunami affected population over the western coast of Kerala (Arattupuzha, Kollam, in December 2004) as President of Rotary Club.
- Diabetes Awareness classes for the public organized by Mary Rani Public School & Junior College, Changanassery, SreeNarayana Club, Changanassery and St. Thomas Hospital, Changanassery, Kerala.Dist Chairman for Diabetes Awareness Programme, Rotary Dist 3211, continuously since the last 5 years and nominated upto 2014-15.
- Varicose Vein Awareness Class for the patients and public on all Tuesdays& Fridays at Thomas Institute of Research on Venous Disease, Changanassery, Kerala.
Millions of people the world over, from infants to pretty aged, suffer from various types & stages of diseases of the Veins. It may be congenital malformations or Primary Varicose Veins or other acquired diseases of the veins. Varicose Veins of the lower limbs are the commonest among them.
It was his strong desire and ambition that the research work initiated by me should continue uninterrupted. Our life is too short. Hence we have to make plans in advance. We should not live for our own well-being. We have to help our fellowmen. The medical profession is one with high dignity and sanctity. We are deputed to this sacred profession, to offer relief to the suffering and share with them. On 15th
June 2012 my dream became fruitful-My dream of forming a Research Foundation. Nothing in this world is immortal. Human being is also no exception. I will also be called back at any moment. Before that, let me contribute something for the already suffering and the one waiting in the track.
With his commitment, determination, and dedication the research work for the identification of the gene responsible for the disease became fruitful and was officially approved and presented to the world. Dr N Radhakrishnan is researching on genetic modification so that the future generation can be freed of the miseries of the Chronic Venous Disease.
The aim of this Foundation is to promote advanced research in the field of venous diseases, to give a helping hand to the sufferers of this disease and to effectively prevent the occurrence of this disease in the future generation. The Foundation will offer scholarships to post-doctoral fellows interested in advanced research on venous diseases. The selection of the candidates will be done at RGCB on merit by inviting applications on All India basis.
With the best hope of fulfilling my promises, even in my absence, to all of you and to free the future generation from this perpetual curse, I hereby humbly dedicate this offering at His feet.
Dr. N Radhakrishnan MS, FICS, FAIS, FAIMS
OP Timings :Tuesday & Friday - 8 am to 2 pm (Mon, Thu OT)