Department of Diabetic Care and Research Institute
Accepting this reality is the first in living with diabetes. If you do not control your diabetes, then diabetes will control your life. In the short term, it adversely affects your quality of life and prevents you from leading a normal life, by making you feel exhausted, dizzy, irritable, hungry, thirsty and with a frequent need to urinate. In the long term, it silently cause irreversible damage to multiple organs like the eyes, nerves, kidneys, heart and blood vessels. It is the leading cuase for blindness, heart attack, kidney failure and foot infections that may require amputation. But Diabetes can be controlled.
A tight control on your diet and lifestyle along with moderate but regular exercise, can help you take care of your complications and allow you to lead a normal, healthy life. St. Thomas Diabetic Club helps you to take charge of your disease and control it.
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a disease that cause the level of sugar in the blood to rise. Our body converts the food we eat into sugar. Insulin, produced by the Pancreas, helps our tissues to absorb the sugar from our blood so that the cells can use it for producing energy.
Type 1 Diabetes
The Type 1 Diabetes is more often among young people. They must take insulin by injection, because their body either does not make insulin at all or does not make enough of it.
Type 2 Diabetes
In case of Type 2 Diabetes, the body makes insulin but this insulin does not function properly. This disease often strikes in adulthood, occurring in people with a strong family history of diabetes. It is most common among people who are overweight.
Complications of Diabetes
- Diabetic Nephropathy – Kidney is at risk
- Diabetic Retinopathy – Changes in retinal blood vessels cause sudden loss of vision
- Diabetic Neuropathy – Loss of sensation of foot causing ulceration, burns
- Coronary Artery Disease – Leads to heart attack
- POVD – Peripheral Occlusive Vascular Disease lead to gangrene of foot
Today, managing your diabetes can be easier than ever. Patients learn about healthy eating, physical activities, medications, monitoring, problem solving, healthy coping, reducing risks of complication and stress management.
ST.THOMAS DIABETIC CARE & RESEARCH INSTITUTE
We are the pioneers in bringing scientific and evidence based diabetes education and treatment programs in Central Travancore. We have a well trainied diabetes team headed by renowned diabetologist Dr. Antony A Thomas.
The ultimate objective of St.Thomas DIABETIC CLINIC is to provide you comprehensive care with information, skills and the support you need to become confident in the daily management of your diabetes and preserve your health and happiness.
- Personalised care with very detailed physical and lab evaluation
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS)
- Blood Sugar Monitoring Class
- Body Fat Analyser
- Doppler study
- Full Fledged Laboratory of International Standards
- Diabetes self management Education
- Learn what is diabetes and how to manage
- Learn how food affects your blood glucose level and how to eat healthy for a life time.
- Learn the benefits of exercise
- Learn how medication works
- Learn how to monitor and interpret glucose
- Learn how to prevent complications
- Learn skills for managing lifetime diseases
Complete Medical History & Review | Screening for Complications | Retinopathy | Foot Inspection | Dietician & Counselling
FBS | RBS | HbA1C | Urine Micro Albumin | FLP | Urine Routine | Biothesiometry | Body Fat Analyzer | Ankle Brachial Index | ECG
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Diabetic Neuropathy
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Povd (Peripheral Occlusive Vascular Disease)