Urology, also known as Genitourinary Surgery, is the branch of medicine that focuses on surgical and medical diseases of the urinary system in both male and female and the genital organs in the male. The organs under the domain of urology include the kidneys, adrenal glands, ureters, urinary bladder, urethra, and the male reproductive organs (testes, epididymis, vas deferens, seminal vesicles, prostate, and penis).
The department of urology has facilities for the diagnosis and treatment of genito-urinary problems seen in adults & children.
Endoscopic treatment of stone disease of Kidney, Ureter, Urinary bladder and Urethra is performed without doing open surgery.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy or nephrolithotripsy (PCNL) removes stones from kidney without making any large incisions
- Ureteroscopy and pneumatic lithotripsy for removal of ureteric stones
- Cystolitholapxy for urinary bladder stones
- Extracorporeal Shock wave Lithotripsy (ESWL) for kidney stones up to 1.5cm in diameter – done under sedation and patient can be discharged on next day.
- Endoscopic internal urethrotomy for urethral strictures
- Open urethroplasty for urethral strictures
- Trans Urethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP) for patients with Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (BPH),
- Open Prostatectomy for enlarged prostate glands
- TURBT for bladder tumors
- Evaluation & treatment (medical & Surgical) for cancers of prostate gland
- Open nephrectomy for tumors of Kidney
- Surgical treatment for cancers of penis; including partial and total penile amputation & inguinal lymph node dissection
- Suprapubic cystostomy for urethral trauma
- Sling surgery for female stress urinary incontinence
- Ureteric stenting to relieve obstruction of the Ureter
- Ureteric reimplantation for ureteric strictures
- Open pyeloplasty for pelvic-ureteric junction obstruction
- Cystolithotomy, uretreolithotomy,nephrolithotomy
- Surgical treatment of common pediatric urological problems like; undescended testes, phimosis etc. . .