Respiratory Medicine (Pulmonology)
The Department offers comprehensive diagnostic, therapeutic, preventive and rehabilitative services in the fields of Respiratory Medicine, Sleep Medicine and allied to Critical care Medicine.
- Daily OP Clinic
- IP Services
- for all respiratory ailments, including critical care services for Respiratory failure, Infections etc.
- The facilities include fully equipped ICU with Mechanical Ventilation, Non-invasive Ventilation (NIV), patient Monitors etc.
- Treatment of Acute and Chronic Respiratory Failure
- Well equipped critical care unit. Appropriate guidance regarding home oxygen, home NIV for needed patients
- Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy (FOB) and Associated Procedures
- Endoscopic procedure for diagnosing tumors or other issues with the air passages, and, for taking samples for biopsy from bronchus or lung for diagnostic purposes in various pulmonary diseases.
- Used for collecting lower respiratory samples for microbiological investigations in respiratory infections, including patients on mechanical ventilator.
- FOB +TBNA (Trans Bronchial Needle Aspiration)
- Bronchoscopic procedures for taking tissue samples from mediastinal lymph nodes
- Medical Thoracoscopy/Pleuroscopy:
- Laparoscopic procedure to visualize the pleura and taking diagnostic biopsy samples: in the cases of undiagnosed pleural effusion. Also, used to release adhesions in complicated Pleural Effusion.
- Intercostal Drainage Tube (ICD) Insertion:
- In acute emergencies like Pneumothorax, massive Pleural Effusion and Emphysema (pus around lungs)
- A procedure for preventing further episodes of Pneumothorax or Pleural Effusion, where indicated. Done along with ICD insertion.
- Intrapleural Fibrinolysis: For difficult to drain complicated pleural effusion. Special medicines instilled to pleural cavity via ICD tube or cannula.
- A computerized pulmonary function test intended for diagnosis of airway diseases like Asthma, COPD, Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD) : Used for pre-operative and pre-employment lung function assessment
- Six Minute Walk Test (6MWT) :For analyzing exercise tolerance and functional assessment in patients with COPD, ILD etc.
- FENO (Fraction of Nitric Oxide in exhaled air analysis) : A test to detect the airway inflammation in patients with suspected Asthma; particularly useful in children
- Sleep Study (Level III):
To diagnose various sleep related disorders like: Sleep Apnoea Syndromes, Hypoventilation Syndrome etc. Appropriate treatment for various sleep disorders available.
- Comprehensive rehabilitation program to improve lung compliance, exercise capacity and to reduce risk for flare up.
- For chronic respiratory ailments like COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), ILD (Interstitial Lung Disease), Chronic Asthma, Neuromuscular disease etc
- Package for 6 weeks available
- Smoking Cessation Clinic
- Counseling and medication available to help Quit Smoking.
We are supported by:
- Clinical Nutrition Therapy
- Physiotherapy - Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Radiology & Imageology Centre
- MRI Scan (1.5 Tesla)
- CT Scanner (128 Slice)